We are really excited to welcome Spice Kitchen to our blog.
They have shared three recipes inspired by the spices and ingredients in our new Indian Cooking and Beer Hamper.
If you know some who loves their curry, enjoys Indian cooking and savours a delicious beer, then this is the perfect gift for them. Make sure you share all the recipes with them too.
Mamma Spice’s Famous Chickpea Curry
Mamma Spice is famous for her Spicy Masala Chickpeas. This popular Indian dish makes use of a rich blend of spices to deliver the perfect amount of hearty heat.
250g dried chickpeas
1 bag of black tea (any brand is fine)
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
1 green chilli, roughly chopped
3 medium tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
3 tsp ground coriander
1⁄2 tsp Garam Masala
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1) Soak the dried chickpeas in plenty of water overnight.
2) Drain, rinse and place in a saucepan with water (approximately three times the amount of chickpeas) and the teabag.
3) Bring to a boil, simmer and cook for 1 and a half to 2 hours, until they are tender.
4) Remove the teabag and set the chickpeas aside.
5) Blend the ginger, chillies and tomatoes to a fine puree and set aside.
6) In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 20 seconds, before adding the sliced onions. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Once caramelised, add the tomato puree, and cook gently for a further 10 minutes. Next, add all the ground spices and salt, if using.
7) Drain the chickpeas and keep a cup of the liquid. Add the chickpeas to the pan together with the reserved liquid, and simmer for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
8) Stir regularly, adding a little more water if the curry has thickened too much.
9) Remove from the heat, ladle into a bowl and finish with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of coriander.
Who will love our Indian Cooking & Beer Hamper?
Doesn't this recipe just sound mouthwatering?
Is there a special person in your life who loves to cook Indian cuisine? Our brand new Indian Cooking and Beer Hamper is the perfect gift for him or her. They can take advantage of Spice Kitchen’s special tin of spices and make the recipe above or any of the others included in the specially devised recipe booklet included.
To accompany a range of Indian and curry creations, this wonderful hamper includes both a jar of mango and chilli chutney from Tracklements and luxury Tandoor Chilli snacks from Howdah. Plus, there are three delicious beers, from Freedom Brewery, to drink whilst eating or as company whilst cooking!